Monday, April 09, 2012

Design Team Project
By: Amy Mayfield

Madame Mariposa Chaperones The Butterfly Ball

I am tickled pink to share my first project as a member of the Lisa Kettell Design Team. I love to create shadow boxes and I honestly don't know that I've ever made anything that didn't involve glitter. I was inspired by the countless wonderful images on the Lisa Kettell Designs Fairy Follies Disc but this lovely lady just sent my mind whirring.

Materials:

Lisa Kettell Designs Fairy Follies Disc
Craft Glue
Shadow Box
Stickles Glitter Glue: Platinum, Onyx and Diamond
Scissors
Sticker Pearls
White cardstock
Adhesive foam rectangles


Directions:

Creating your images: I used three images from the Disc; The Fairy Lady, The Butterfly Ball and one of the Fairy Sheet Music Pages. I had to play with the sizes on my printer a bit to get them the size I wanted--I used custom size and played around with different inches. Once I had the desired dimensions I printed them on white cardstock and cut them out.

I coated the back of The Butterfly Ball image in glue and applied it to the back wall of my box, using a plastic squeegee to lightly smooth it. Once it was in place, I outlined the border and highlighted Butterfly Ball in Platinum Stickles and used Onyx Stickles on "the."

I used about six foam rectangles on the back of Madame and placed her inside the box. Once she was situated, I outlined her wings in Diamond Stickles...even a chaperone needs a little sparkle. Normally I would do a patterned paper around the inside of the box but I knew it would be hidden by the top.

To cover the basic black front of my shadow box, I flipped the lid upside down and traced the outline on the Fairy Sheet Music. Once I cut it out, I laid it on top of the lid to trace where the glass was and the cut out the interior. Coated the back in glue, applied to black "frame" area and smoothed it with squeegee. I topped it with a random butterfly I found in one of my craft boxes and outlined it in the Platinum Stickles. Then I pulled strips of pearl stickers apart and placed them around the edge.

Voila! You can be sure that under Madame's watchful eye no butterflies or fairy folk were taking part in ANY kind of dirty dancing.


The customization possibilities are ENDLESS on these images. You can use any kind of glitter or ephemera or jewels you prefer. I'd love to see what you create!

By:
amy’s blam
General Foolishness
http://amyblam.com



No comments: