Thursday, May 17, 2012

Design Team Project
by Amy Mayfield

Create a pretty pixie poppet

I had so much fun making today’s project. Lisa offers an AMAZING array of doll bits in her Artfire store and I had been dying to do something with my Charlotte heads. Using the small heads, I created a pretty pixie poppet. What is really wonderful about these is you could easily create your own parade of poppets and add a loop of ribbon to the back to create ornaments. For colorful trees, the assortment above is fabulous. If you want metallics or a more monochromatic look, the Fleur de Lis Flapper heads are a pretty choice and would make marvelous snow fairies or queens and I may have just convinced myself I need them…The set of basic Charlotte heads would be easy to customize for any color scheme–these pieces take paint and glitter extremely well.

For this project, you’ll need:
Your choice of doll heads from Lisa Kettell Designs
Doll bodies printed on cardstock (Mine came from Altered Artifacts on etsy)
Butterfly or fairy wings printed on cardstock (you could also use silk ones)
Crown paper punch
Adhesive rhinestones
Stickles in Diamond
Various fabric trims and ribbon
Thin wood craft sticks
Fine glitter (I like Martha Stewart glitters)
Glue, scissors, hot glue gun, etc

Directions:
I started by cutting out the doll body and attaching her head. I did sand the back of her head down just a touch to make it a little flatter. She was attached to the body using a glue stick and then I positioned the wings, legs and arms.
Next, I created her crown by using a crown paper punch and covering it in Martha Stewart glitter in Sterling. Shake off the excess and set aside to dry. I used a piece of trim for her skirt and held it in place with hot glue and accented the waist with a fun, fluffy bit of pink fiber. After this was attached, I outlined her wings and shoes in Diamond Stickles and created her a necklace with tiny silver adhesive rhinestones. Her crown is simply attached to the back of her head with a dot of hot glue and then it got accented with pink adhesive rhinestones. Once she was all together, I used hot glue to apply a craft stick–just to make her a little more sturdy. If you wanted your pixie poppet to be an ornament, just loop a bit of ribbon under the craft stick as you glue it in place.
This is a project that could easily be done with little ones–just help them with the hot glue gun and such. These would make great gifts for them to give for Christmas to friends and family. Here’s the finished project:
Doesn’t she look like she’s been sprinkled with a pinch of pixie dust?
___________________________________________________________________________________
I love love love this project, so magical and enchanting I could see an army of these, a pixie army that is!, Love, off to make some of my own, thanks so much Amy! :-)

xoxo
Lisa

No comments: