There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true.
Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops,
High above the chimney tops,
That's where you'll find me."- Wizard of Oz
"A shooting star, Toto. A shooting star!-Return to Oz
Magic Pumpkins of Oz are pumpkin wand sticks I created as a tribute to the 75th Anniversary of the Wizard of Oz, the book; Return to Oz, Halloween, Wizards and Pumpkin Picking.
Starting today through October 31, I will periodically be posting fun and whimsical Wizard of Oz type projects to celebrate 75 years of the classic movie, in addition to other themes such as Halloween, Wonderland, Cupie and Lisa Kettell Designs projects.
As for this project its extremely easy to create and a perfect recycled project using leftover paper straws and crepe paper streamers from a party, last years harvest floral picks or fruit picks of choice, scrapbook paper, floral wire and glue, that's it.
- Paper straws, navy blue, Aardvark Straws
- Pumpkin floral pick, Nicole Crafts
- Crepe paper streamers, blue green color, lime green color
- Oz scrapbook paper, Graphic 45
- Scrapbook paper, Crate Paper
- Glitter scrapbook paper, AcMoore
- Floral wire, white
- Star punch
- Glue/Tools; hot glue gun, hot glue sticks, scissors
- Insert stem of pumpkin floral pick into the opening of paper straw, hot glue in place.
- Punch stars from glitter paper using a star punch of choice.
Directions For Wizard Hat
- Cut a 5 inch by 5 inch square from scrapbook paper of choice.
- Now cut square in 1/2 for a triangle shape.
- Roll the ends of the triangle in to form a cone, secure with hot glue.
- Attach the wizard hat to the top center of the pumpkin wand.
- Cut a 12 inch piece of crepe paper from streamer, fold in 1/2, attach to hat base, repeat until desired amount of crepe paper fullness is reached.
- Cut a piece from the Oz scrapbook paper, attach to hat base, tilting slightly for a whimsical effect.
- Insert floral wire to the hat point, secure with hot glue, wrap around hat, secure with hot glue at base, twist ends for more whimsy.
- Randomly attach the punched stars around the floral wire with hot glue.
Now your wands are ready to spread some magic and if you are lucky they might just transport you to wonderland.
- Visit my You Tube channel to learn how to pleat, fold and crimp crepe paper for embellishing.
- You can use all types of fruit picks for this project to works for any season, like apples, pears, strawberries, large cherries, plums, lemons, limes, or gourds, all will work for this kind of project.
- Use discarded toys, vintage cake toppers, plastic novelties to make fun wands for kids or parties.
- Insert floral flowers, mistletoe and more in red or green paper straws for holiday decorating or table toppers.
- If you aren't a hot glue lover, try using a thick glue of your choice.
Hope you enjoyed the magic,
Have a wonderful Saturday!