Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Altered Book: Art Doll Chronicles


Hello All,
On March 15, 2009, I will be teaching an altered art book class called:
The Art Doll Chronicles at the Summit Visual Arts Center from 10am-4pm,
if you are interested sign up at the summit visual arts center, limit space of 15 students!
Sum Visual Arts Center, Workshop Sign Up

We are going to create vintage books with faux gilded covers, reminiscent of the most elaborate of royal opera books, each page is going to tell a story of your adventure in a secret Doll Land or Story Book Land, the pages of your book will be 3-D with handmade dolls sewn/glued to each page, or layered with dimensional silhouettes, backed by sweet distressed writing papers or piano papers. There will be an exploration into your creative mind during the whole class, with a question: What inspires you and how can that inspiration bring you into your own artful World.

I will have books from vintage opera to eye candy filled chic, romantic, doll house and my own for the class to gain inspiration from, while working. We will also embark on a mixed media/1920's doll illustration, 1920's Dennison doll making, book binding, altered art techniques, distress techniques. You will receive a template of vintage doll and storybook illustration that you can leave with and study for future projects. This turn of the century illustration had simple lines, and such cutesy attributes, so easy to duplicate and turn into your own style.

I'll be supplying most of the supplies such as papers, fabrics, images, ribbons, trims, glitter and more, along with goodie bags and some other surprises, revealed in the class. However students are encouraged to bring their own images, fave paper or fabric, stickles, glitter, etc that they could use in addition to the supplies I will be bringing.

Main techniques that will be taught:-Bookbinding
-Paper Piercing
-Rosettes: the art of folding
-Paper millinery flowers, learn to make your own
-Doll and Paper Doll making
-Altered Art and Collage Techniques
-Making your own silhouettes
-Basic Storybook illustration and Mixed Media illustration
-Vintage Art Techniques

I'm working on some various examples: Silhouettes with glitter and creamy colors against lettered writing pages and German Crepe paper doll book example, the painted version book, and the Living Opera Theater Book, etc.

Hope to see you there for some artful fun and magic!
Lisa!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
the Summit Visual Arts Center site reads:
The Altered Book: Art Doll Chronicles
Sunday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

Bring your childhood dolls and storybook classics to life. Create a book with vintage tones and classic elegance with the use of basic book binding, altered art, sewing, doll making and other artful techniques. Each page will resemble a vintage story book, a doll house, and a fairytale theatre with 3D elements and miniatures. Work with designer papers, rich fabrics, vintage trims, crepe paper, tinsel, rhinestones, doll parts, images and other fun supplies.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Lisa,SO wish I could come to this amazing class sounds wonderful.

Lisa Kettell said...

Oh thank you Sarah, I promise I will take photos and film it with my new FLIP, LOL, I love that camera!
I try to make my classes as magical as possible with giveaways, sweet treats and music when allowed.

XO!
Lisa!

KKJD1 said...

What a fun class! Thanks so much for the b-day wishes! Hope you have a great day! Blessings, Karen

MaygreenFairies said...

Oh I would so love to come to one of your classes, I'll have to make sure that at some point in the next couple of years I make a trip to see you, maybe I could even try and make Silver Bella one year!! Hugs, Mandy x

chinamommy said...

Oh Lisa, i sure wish you would come to Grand Rapids, MI!! I would LOVE to take one of your classes. I am anxiously awaiting your book (autographed no less!) & working on a super special project that i will send to you ASAP for POSSIBLE publication in your zine...
I'll be doing a "Hawaii" update on my blog later today!
Cheers,
misschell
http://chinamommy04.blogspot.com/

ByLightOfMoon said...

PLease take loads of photos for us to see who cannot attend...

Smiles, cyndi

Unknown said...

Lisa I would love to be there. Wish I lived closer.
Thank you so much for taking time to comment back. I know how busy you are:)
XXX
Becky

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hello Lisa,If I sounded strange in my last comment ,its because I have a very bad cold.Love ya,Marie Antionette

Lisa Kettell said...

I can't wait to share the day with all of you! So you can feel as though you were there!
XO!
Lisa!