Under the Boardwalk was inspired by the history of boardwalk communities by the shore. It was inspired by my adventures to the Jersey Shore particularly Ocean Grove, Asbury Park, Seaside, and LBI. Vintage beauty pageants, and Victorian Seaside Splendor. By 1950's amusements and confections, candy apples, calliope music and summer nights.
If you love to recycle and use recycled items in your works, this is a great way to do that.
To make your own follow these instructions below:
- Sails and Shells Paper Pack, Canvas Corp.
- Seashore style ephemera, and vintage images, Lisa Kettell Designs
- Vintage or modern bingo cards,and wood bingo tokens Lisa Kettell Designs
- Chipboard style card stock, Canvas Corp.
- Basic office folders
- Paper Straws, Recollections Line, Michaels Stores
- Vintage style embellishments, 7 Gypsies
- Inks, Tattered Angels
- Found Objects: broken glass bottles, wood shapes, branches, cake balloons.
- Other: crepe paper, German glass glitter, tiny star fish, shells, muslin fabric, ribbon.cocktail honey combs stirrers,color clothes pins
- Tools/Glue: hot glue, hot glue gun, glue stick scissors, small paper hole punch, white floral wire
- Cut 2 pieces of the chipboard style card stock to 8 by 10 inches for the cover. Then cut out 4 pieces of basic office folders and 4 pieces of chipboard style card stock about 5 by 7 inches, for the interior pages,
- Begin layering the cut interior pages with scrapbook paper from the Sails and Shells paper pack, Glue in place with glue stick.
- Assemble all the pages together and punch 1 hole into the pages with a hole punch about 2 inches in from the top and another hole 2 inches from the bottom. Make sure you punch the holes 1 inch from the side. ( the side I'm referring to is the area where the book pages will have its binding.)
- Thread each whole with white floral wire and twist around 3 small branches. This is your binding.
- Start decorating the top cover with bingo board, scrapbook embellishments, paper straws, found objects, images, additional scrapbook paper cutouts,
- Cut various strips of scrapbook paper from the Sails and Shells paper pack and cut fringe into them, then hot glue to the cover sides and interior sides,
- Age ribbon, scrapbook paper and objects with inks from Tattered Angels.
- Finally add the remaining embellishments: honey comb stirrers, ribbons, clothes pins and bingo tokens.
- Use old book covers or bingo boards instead of basic office folders or chipboard paper.
- Layer the whole cover with paper straws.
- Create these books with your kids or family on a rainy summer day.
- Turn this book project into a family vacation heirloom.
- Make a theme book. Example: fairies and pixies, flowerland, candyland, wizards, Santa Claus, etc.
Thanks So Much,