Friday, January 10, 2014

Queen of the Soiree

One of my favorite things to do is to up-cycle discarded books and give them new life. For this piece I used a discarded used hardcover book and turned it into a vintage style handmade altered book. 

I ripped the original pages out of the book and replaced them with chipboard pages that were layered in vintage ephemera.

The pages where glued and stitched into the book using my double button technique. I coated the covers of the book with handmade paper rosettes and vintage bingo boards.

The front cover was further layered with a vintage party image from my collection which is available on the mixed collage image cd. I further embellished the covers with lettering, card stock shapes, buttons, gilding, ink and German glass glitters.

The inside pages where layered with more rosettes, ephemera, doilies, laces, and trims. German glass glitter and inks were also added to the pages for more dimension.


After every page was layered with ephemera, rosettes and embellishments I added various aged lace trims which I dyed with Liquid Rit Dye Cocoa color using a spray bottle and brush. Finally I added crepe paper fringes, sequin trim and broken jewelry pieces throughout.

I'll share more sneak peaks of the book and inside pages soon. I hope this project inspires you to create and recycle some discarded books in your collection, the possibilities are endless.

xoxo
Lisa

No comments: