Saturday, June 23, 2012

Design Team Project

By Amy Mayfield 

A fanciful fairy shrine

Summer is going by oh so fast that I can’t even believe it but I DID finally find some time to play with the Lisa Kettell Fairy Follies CD. This CD has more than 600 gorgeous images that you can print and play with to your heart’s content. I also used another marvelous man in the moon because I just love all their little faces!
So here’s my Fairy Whispers Shrine–if you listen closely, you might just hear their little laughter and whispered secrets.
Supplies Needed:
A Lisa Kettell Image CD
Moons
Gold tinsel
Xacto knife
Super fine gold and silver glitter
Paper Mache bird house
White glue
Rubber Cement
Clothespins
Teeny tiny wooden spools
Gold metallic paint
Hot glue gun
Star brads
I used bits of five different images and a paper mache bird house I picked up for 99 cents at Hobby Lobby. With an xacto knife, I cut out the front of the bird house to make a large, rounded opening. For the lady that lives in the little shrine surrounded by a sea of stars, I used some star brads to add a little dimension and placed a beaming moon, painted gold, to gaze down upon her. I finished off the interior with some glitter paper and a polka dot “sky.” To jazz up her crown, I added six-sided star brads in two sizes. For attaching paper so that it dries nicely and non-wrinkly, I’ve been using rubber cement with clothespins to hold them in place–a trick I picked up from Knickertwists over at Pixie Hill. It’s pretty much my new favorite thing.

I love tinsel so I trimmed the front of the shrine with several layers of gold tinsel applied using hot glue gun. I also covered the roof using white glue and super fine gold glitter. On the back, I used a clear stamp and some gold metallic embossing powder to overlay the Fairy Whispers onto this pretty picture. Because you can NEVER have too much sparkle, I added more tinsel to trim the edges and used teeny wooden spools, painted with gold metallic paint, as feet.

To finish it off, I printed a butterfly fairy that I sized down, cut out and coated the bottom with super fine silver glitter. I slightly scored the wings to fold them up and attached it with a line of hot glue down the “body.”

There you have it! Lisa Kettell Designs is having a FABULOUS June Sale in the Artfire Store so hop on over and don’t miss out on savings and super supplies! (I also can’t say enough about her book, Altered Art Circus. I picked it up long before I joined the Design Team and it has such wonderful inspiration and how-tos PLUS if you buy it on Artfire, you can get it autographed!)

___________________________________________________________________________________
How amazing is Amy's project? I absolutely love it! There are so many possibilities with this project! Here is a similar one I made a few years ago:
Pretty The Bird!2Pretty The Bird!Pretty The Bird!3You can create enchanted ornaments, mini vignettes, circus or memory fun with this project. I hope Amy and Lisa Kettell Designs inspires you to create a shrine of your own!
xoxo
Lisa

1 comment:

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

These shrines are just to cute!
Lisa can design some of the cutest things for us to make.
Fairy Blessings to you Dear,
Marie Antionette