Friday, October 10, 2008


My Artful Idol: Mary Engelbreit!


This picture was taken about 9years ago when I was much younger, early twenties, at Fao Schwartz, NYC, for her new doll line w/Robert Tonner.

The story begins, one day I was walking through an enchanting book store in Montclair, I was around age 8 or 9 years old, and I stumbled upon this greeting card, with a tall skinny, colorful mime style clown, I instantly loved it, I asked my Mom, if she would by it for me, and she did. I placed it in my room and began trying to draw that figure in this card. I had always loved drawing and coloring in my coloring books (which I still have), but this picture grabbed me, my final result, well, I was 8 or 9. But not bad for that age..As time grew on, I began to see more of this artist works on greeting cards, collecting them as I went, never writing in them, but framing them, the stickers which I put in my sticker album with Lisa Frank stickers, then a print here and there, boom, she was everywhere and I was so excited. by age 20 I had her toy dolls from Toys-R-Us, figurines, ornaments, teapots, cups, vases, my whole room was filled with Fairies, Mermaids, and this artist.

When I needed inspiration I turned to my collection of greeting cards and now her books, which filled me with so much joy, I knew then I had a passion for everything art. But didn't think I'd be able to make a living from it, so I changed my major in college from art to Political Science, with the hopes of being an FBI agent dealing in antiquities and foregin affairs, but after a major and semi cribbling accident in April of 1999, I knew that would never be, so I turned back to my art, while working in what I though was a new career in Banking/Mortgage.

When I heard this artist who I will now reveal as Mary Engelbreit was going to be at FAO Scwartz in NYC, I had to go. After one failed attempt, when I was 12years old, I ended up having ear drum surgery, so I couldn't go to her signing, I new it was over ten years and I had to go. Well I get there and a security guard decided to cut the line right on me, I was in tears, drove all this way and boom not to even meet her... Well I kept my faith and a person saw my tears ( I was still composed) and she led me to the end of the line on the other side, and led me through the red ropes, and guess what I met her, she signed my doll, and snow queen book, this picture above is the result. She was super sweet and nice, I couldn't even speak, I made her some drawing rolled them up and gave them to her, then I went on my way, happy as a fairy could be.

Now its almost another ten years later and I now have published a children's book: Star and The Milky Way Cafe, a artful set of Zines: Faerie Zine and Piddlestixs, A new about to be released art book entitled: Altered Art Circus by Quarry Books, Several online groups which promote other artists, I teach Workshops at Museums, Stores and Conventions, Invloved in Charities and working on my new product line and licensing works, within this time frame, and guess what she is still one of my idols, I have incorporated some more to my top ten,LOL, but she was my first inspiration. Now on Nov.15,2008 on MY BIRTHDAY weekend I will be vending w/goodies and a pay/play at Silver Bella in Omaha, NE, and as you guessed it Miss Mary will be the speaker at the luncheon on Nov.15, what a present that would be to once again meet the artist who set the tone of inspiration for me, all these years later, now that I'm a professional artist, we will see, I leave that to chance to my Birthday Fairy who hopefully will make that come true..I mean, on my birthday, now that is a one in a million chance, don't you agree. I get this excited over the releases of the Harry Potter Movies on my birthday and birthday week too, my fave modern day novels..I met JK Rowling, at a signing, I'll save that for another post.

Magic and Joy!

Lisa! (P.s. some people have idols like the Beatles, Elvis, Monet, Hannah Montana, mine are art idols who inspire me everyday, as are the amazing art friends I have met and know)

14 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

Me too, I want to meet, Steve and Cathy from Creative Juice, Paula Deen, and some others that elude my tired head right now...wonderful post, hugs, Lisa

Jessi Nagy said...

yoo hoo,
im so excited to meet you!!
you get to see mary again!!
how cool is that. and it's your bday!!
oxoxo,
jessi

Lisa Kettell said...

I'm super excited, But I can't meet her, If I don't sign up for classes, which worries me..Going all that way and not meeting my idol on my birthday would stink. I will think of something! LOL! Say your wishes...I already sent mine to my birthday fairy, she better come through! LOL!

Lisa, I love Paula Deen, her books and shows are amazing, she was at a book signing about 4 years ago near me..the line was over 5 hours, LOL!

Super Hugs to you both!

vivian said...

great story and lucky you!! this time you will probably get a chance to have a conversation with her and you can tell her your story!!
I wish I was able to go to silver bella with all you girls!! (sticks out bottom lip to pout!!) maybe next year!
hugs
vivian

Lisa Kettell said...

Maybe Viv, we can do an east coast thing, something artsy, getting us all together, would be fun....
There is something amazing going on this weekend in CT called:Art IS
runs til sunday!

I shall take loads of pics in Omaha!

Hugs!
Lisa!

eclectic archivist said...

Hope you have the best birthday ever, and hoping you get to visit with Miss Mary once again.

Lisa Kettell said...

Me too! I'm so excited! Silver Bella is my first time this year, didn't realize some local pals are going to on my flight too. I'm in Silver Bella Mode now, meeting Miss Mary will make my birthday!

Hugs!
Lisa!

meleen dupré said...

lisa,

yippy!! i get to see you again at silver bella!! and a birthday celebration to boot!! this is going to be some weekend!!!

counting the days!!
meleen

Lisa Kettell said...

Meleen, we are going to have fun, and its my birthday making the celebration even better. We are on the same flight too!

Hugs!
Lisa!

Gina M Smith said...

What a wonderful post!! But..I think you just wrote the interview for me! I am sure you will meet Mary on your b-day of course!

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles said...

What a wonderful story Lisa!
Im sure you will meet Mary again,
you will have a wonderful trip!
hugs,
Sandy

Lisa Kettell said...

Thank You, I will hold on tight! So excited and I'll be at an event filled with vintage enchantment..
You all know I will take loads of pictures! LOL!

Magic and Joy!
Lisa!

Lola Enchanted said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Lisa Kettell said...

Thanks so much, I'm looking foward to my birthday this year, well I always do, LOL, my fave holidays: Halloween, My Birthday and Christmas..Why? An Excuse to wear a crown! LOL!

Hugs!
Lisa!